Wednesday, May 14, 2008

6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon

So the Internet is kinda like that game of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...I was watching a news snippet on a blog (dooce.com) that I've been reading for about a year and some other mommy bloggers were included in the piece, and I happened to remember one of the websites (wouldashoulda.com). So I was reading her blog the other day and she had a list of blogs that she reads, and I clicked on the top one (alittlepregnant.com), and her site was rather interesting, like a book you can't put down. She had a difficult time conceiving her son, and ended up having him 10 weeks premature, while she was 200 miles away from home visiting family. Her description says: "misadventures in infertility, pregnancy, and parenthood". I've only read a few months of her blogs so far, but the one thing that really struck me was how honest and raw her writing is. She does not try to gloss over the difficult times or emotions that she is feeling. She is straight forward and to the point! Having been a mother for 5 months now, I really appreciate her honesty in that babies are not all fun and sweet and perfect. Sometimes it is downright hard and frustrating. It allowed me to feel like I wasn't alone, and less guilty about the frustrating parts of being a mother.

So while I'm reading of her tales of motherhood, she mentioned in one of her blogs how she was marveling her sons birth certificate, and then it occurred to me that I don't ever remember seeing Liam's birth certificate. I swear pregnancy brain continues after you give birth! So, I ask DH if he remembers seeing it, and he didn't either. I remembered filling out a bunch of paperwork at the hospital, and I just figured that it would come in the mail. I did remember getting his SS card, but not his birth certificate?! So last night, I went through the pile of paperwork the hospital sent home with us, and sure enough there was a bright orange paper that says: IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR PARENTS...You are responsible for acquiring your Child's Birth Certificate. So 5 months later I finally ordered his birth certificate! Well, at least next time I will have all this stuff down pat, ha!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy Cow April - I spaced doing that too! Thank you for the reminder!