Friday, April 25, 2008

Next Blog>>

I'm fairly new to this blogspot site, and I'm fascinated by the Next Blog>> feature. Every time you click on it, it brings up a random blog from different people ALL over the world. In a handful of clicks you can "meet" 10 different people from 10 different corners of the earth. Just today I 'met' a home schooling mother living in North Pole, Alaska, the next click a liberal Mormon archivist from New Mexico, next a student from Malaysia, next a Nun from who knows where because I couldn't read the language, next a student that is attending a local Collage that I went to, next a crafty person from Norway...

http://hobbyugla.blogspot.com/


You could totally lose track of time 'meeting' all these people from around the world. And even if you can't understand their language, you can see pictures of their family, their friends, their pets, their world.


I am constantly amazed by the power that the Internet holds. We can meet people in the comfort of our home. This is not to say that you should not have human contact, because that is very important, but just being able to learn about other people on this planet is such a great thing. It can open our eyes to other viewpoints and ideas. And 100's of years from now (if the Internet is still around) our ancestors will also be able to learn about our daily lives.

My ancestors were very good about writing about their lives, and publishing volumes of books with their history. However, I think the younger generations have not been so dedicated to continuing on with the tradition. The Internet provides people an easy way to keep a record of their lives, to allow their family and friends to keep updated, even with our crazy busy schedules that we have.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool! I didn't know about this feature. It looks really fun. It will keep me entertained while I am bored at work.

Unknown said...

Wow, well now I understand why my site tracker has showed clicks from Estonia and Australia. I'll have to try it!