Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Food That Nourishes us (Part 1)

When I was pregnant with Liam, there were some common questions I would get from people. There were the general ones that most pregnant women get like when are you due? Is it a boy or girl? Are you ready? Then the more personal one I got was if I was going to breastfeed. I didn't mind this question, but I had heard that breastfeeding is hard, and that it doesn't always work out. Since he was my first baby, I didn't have any idea if it would work out or not, so I always just said: I'd like to, if it works out.

When Liam was born he was one month early. He latched on OK, but he would fall asleep within minutes, sometimes seconds, of eating. I was told this is pretty normal for babies to sleep a lot after they are born, but Preemies sleep even more! So the doctors and nurses were fairly concerned about him not eating. I tried giving him formula through a tube to simulate breastfeeding, I even tried a bottle. Each person came in with their own advice, and I would listen and try their way, then time would pass so quickly and the next shift would arrive and they would have different advice that I would try. Some were more concerned than others, and after a while I just didn't know what to think! Liam cried a lot and so did I. The Doctor was so concerned that he ordered for Liam to have his blood levels tested through the night, and also had us stay an extra day to make sure he started to eat. One of the nurses brought me a pump which helped a little. One thing that I didn't know is that it can take 4-5 days for your milk to come in. Before that there is a small amount of colostrum that is really high in calories and has all sorts of antibodies to help your baby stay healthy.

After we went home he started to be less sleepy, and more hungry. It took a couple of weeks for him to gain back what he lost from his birth weight. While on my maternity leave, I mostly nursed him except if we went somewhere, or if Mike wanted to feed him. Ever since he got the hang of eating, he has had a HUGE appetite and he more than doubled his weight by the time he was 3 months! After starting work, I pumped for him, and he has gradually started to prefer the bottle. Partly I think it's just easier for him to eat, and partly he is at an age that he is more aware of things going on around him, he gets distracted easily. I am constantly amazed by what my body is capable of doing. First it grew this little person inside, and now it continues to grow this amazing BIG person outside!

No comments: