Saturday, August 23, 2008

Making Baby Food


A couple of weeks ago, my good friend lent me this book 'Blender Baby Food' by Nicole Young. I got a bit carried away the first time making LT food by making him the 'Lentils, Carrots and Celery' meal. He ate it OK, but I think it was a bit much for his first home made meal. So, I decided to make him some apple sauce today. I wasn't sure what to expect with just apples and water, but it turned out really good! It looked and tasted just like apple sauce you buy in the store...but the best part is I know exactly what was put into it. AND it was soooo easy.

APPLES

4 cups chopped peeled apples (about 4)-I used Gala
1/2 cup water

1. In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat bring apples and water to a simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are very tender, about 20 minutes.

2. Transfer apples to blender, and puree on high speed until smooth. (I used my handy new immersion blender that I got from my mother-in-law for my B-day (thanks!!)...it made making this meal so easy).

*Makes about 2 cups (4-6 jars worth) Can freeze safely upto 3 months, and most fresh food is OK for about 3 days in the fridge.

I LOVE that I can make Liam fresh and healthy food, so he can stay strong and healthy though out his life. I am hoping by doing this he can learn to appreciate all sorts of tastes and textures, and continue good eating habits when he's older.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds really cool - thanks for the info!